What Should I Expect?
If this is your first time getting involved in martial arts classes, you probably have no idea what to expect. Here's how it usually works:
1) You contact us. Either by email or phone. We have a conversation about what you want to accomplish with training, just to make sure our school is a fit for you.
2) We schedule a Private Class. We usually do these Monday - Thursday. We try to be as flexible as possible but sometimes we're booked up to two weeks in advance. There is a cost of $15 and it covers your first two private classes.
3) We do the Private Class. We're in the Westgate Plaza in Norwich, so there's plenty of parking. If your class is scheduled between the hours of 4:00 and 8:00, it will be busy when you get here. Just come in and we'll be watching for you. If we don't see you right away, just wave to an instructor (there are lots of us) and your private class instructor will come meet you. Private classes are held in a quieter area. This class is meant to teach you all your basics, give you a chance to meet us and ask questions, and to make sure our program is right for you. It's not a crazy workout but we'll have you hitting some pads. Self-Defense is serious, but our environment and instructors are fun and you will have a good time. Wear comfortable workout clothes. The whole thing should take 30 - 40 minutes. You can always bring a friend.
4) We schedule your second Private Class.
5) We do the Second Private Class. This is a review of the first class and some new stuff. After this class, you're ready for group class - as long as you like what you see and have enjoyed your training. This class also goes 30 - 40 minutes.
6) We give you your schedule and class options. We have different programs and class times at ABD Norwich, so you can pick what works best for you.
7) If you decide our classes can help you meet your goals, we give you your uniform and schedule your first group class.
8) You come to your first group class. Bring water! As always, the school will be busy when you get here. Come in, put your shoes in the rack, and grab your student card off the wall. When your class starts, everyone lines up. You'll be on the right side of the line (closest to the shoe racks). Don't worry - there will be plenty of other beginners. Our instructors will be watching for you, and you'll find that everyone here is very supportive. Group class is an hour. Please pace yourself for the first few weeks until you get the rhythm of class. If you need to slow down, do it! The workout is challenging, but the atmosphere is very positive and friendly. You'll notice this very quickly.
9) You come to your second group class. You're sore from your first class, but it's a "good sore" - you earned it. Every class from here on in will get easier in the sense that you'll know what to expect. However, no class will ever be easy. It will always be a challenge, but one you'll look forward to!
If all this sounds good, just fill in your info below and we'll get back to you soon!